Lets talk about super high THC flower

it would if the thc were the only thing getting you high like the alcohol is the only thing getting you drunk. if there were over 100 things in liquor that got you drunk then it would be similar.

7 Likes

Itā€™s more analogous to poppies. There are hundreds of drugs in opium, but only one in heroin. Pure THC isnā€™t great imo but sometimes a good landrace mixed with a 25% bud is the best of both worlds.

3 Likes

Yes. The brain works the way it works. The proof is in showing the mechanism of how the chemicals work on the brain. Without any, we are just guessing. And our current ā€œguess of the monthā€ flavor doesnā€™t seem to make sense. Iā€™ve had good weed. The legal stuff is not it. If you never smoked weed from pre 2000, I canā€™t help you. You donā€™t have a frame of reference. If you have, then you know what Iā€™m saying. I would buy a brick of Mexican for double price over a majority of disposable (pun) weed.
If we have a mechanism showing the effects of terpenes, The experience should back that up.

1 Like

Right. I agree. A lot of cannibanoids. Now show the mechanism of how they work, measure them, and put that on the label. Then you have to make the disposable weed better. I could buy solventless hash (wordplay) but I donā€™t want to have to buy their Crack to get high. Flowers used to work. It is very funny how grandpaā€™s weed was soooo bad, and weed today is 2000 times more potent, and yetā€¦ it isnā€™t.

3 Likes

Problem isā€¦ ask 10 different people and youā€™ll get 10 different responses to how it affected them. I mean, I see people saying this weed did this or that, but Iā€™ll tell you what effect it had on me, not the other way around.
In a senseā€¦ many growers here could probably BE your grandpa. I mean, age wise. Hereā€™s the thing though, is that I can crank out some pure modern extract that would put the old school shit in itā€™s grave. Itā€™s all about the flavor and how hard it hits. I either take a rip and Iā€™m happy itā€™s top notch, or I take a rip and get angry that the extract sucks ass.

5 Likes

you canā€™t though. if everyone had the same chemicals working the same way in their brains, then yeah, you could. if there were only one variable like alcohol, then you could as well. but hundreds of things working with hundreds of variations is impossible to get any closer than a generalization. also with alcohol there are folks who just donā€™t get drunk, i forgot the term. they are an extreme minority but exist.

personally i like the dispo weed i smoke right now compared to what we were getting before. iā€™ll like my own a whole lot better but thatā€™s going to be a mix of things i want. i used to grow lots of dank shit back in the day, but no way to compare it since none of us can possibly remember to any reliable extent what was what.

3 Likes

Iā€™d take that challenge any day. Have you smoked Vietnam Black? Pure Thai? Malawi? Any of those flowers will send a hypebeast Gelato head to the Psychiatric Ward :rofl:

8 Likes

This is very subjective. I have seen the same cut test 30% thc and 1.5% terps and then 25% and 3% terps. Saying which one is ā€˜betterā€™ is in the eye of the beholder. Some people like to smoke a lot. They like the taste and smell, but donā€™t want to get ripped out of their gourds. Other people just want to get really high. I think it depends on what one is after.

On another note, I would like to state my opinion that all these numbers are strictly for marketing purposes. There are hundreds of compounds in cannabis, many of which havenā€™t even begun to be researched.

I can only speak from my experience with testing, but totally dehydrating a sample wonā€™t give you super high numbers imo. The labs take into account moisture levels.

I have cultivars regularly test above 30% thc. They honestly are not my favorite, and I feel like I can get a better quality high with lower numbers. As others have said, we need to take into account each persons body chemistry as well.

:v:

12 Likes

Whatā€™s your experience with testing? Did you use hplc or spectroscopy** edited because I realized I said chromatography twice

1 Like

Iā€™ll disagree. My grandpa ran shine, but my dad? Grew great weed, legendary even.

I started smoking in the 2000s. Cut my teeth on dumpster, Migs, G13 and lemon G.

In my 30s when the old man and I started smoking together I had to look my father dead in the eyes like ā€œListen to me old man, this isnā€™t your 70s weed, go fucking slow. If you roll this up like I see you roll yours up youā€™re going to be gone. Just saying, make your choices.ā€
Old man didnā€™t take my advice and was sitting there staring off giggling. Later heā€™s like ā€œoh damn, I was high as hell, I brought this one-y this timeā€
:roll_eyes:

4 Likes

Not all THC is the same. Every strain and even every pheno will produce a slightly different version of THC. It canā€™t be measured by a test, but Itā€™s the missing piece of the puzzle that nobody has figured out yet.

4 Likes

Hi! Iā€™m just the grower, and I actually had to look it up. The lab we use says: High-Performance Liquid Chromatography combined with the latest technology, allowing us to quickly and accurately determine the levels of cannabinoids (THCa, Ī”9-THC, Ī”8-THC, THCV, CBDa, CBD, CBN, CBGa, CBG, CBC) found in any sample.

3 Likes

Right. And to do that, they dehydrate the sample, grind it as fine as possible and mix it with ethanol to test. Not saying itā€™s not effective but there are lots of spots for things to get inflated or deflated

3 Likes

Again, testing is not my forte, but I have seen samples get tested at higher moisture levels that do not score as well. Anything much below 8% moisture also does not score as well, especially in terpenes. Just my experience.

Edit: you are also allowed as a consumer (or competitor) in my state to have samples tested. That means if someone is really spiking numbers there is a possibility of being caught.

2 Likes

I think youā€™re referencing moisture in the bud right? Thatā€™s essentially to slow degradation. Less moist or more moist cannabis stored over time degrades faster than that 6% or whatever the target may beā€¦ so itā€™s likely those samples tested worse because the storage and dry was worse.

1 Like

They test the moisture of the bud before itā€™s tested for thc/terpenes. Iā€™ll download some test results, one minute.

Well of course there is the possibility. It would be nice if it were impossible to falsify tests, but it is possible. I love the concept of consumers being able to test but also if it occurs weeks apart there wonā€™t be much ā€˜proofā€™ because they can claim whatever they want. Consumer stored it improperly, did this or that to it, etc. Iā€™m not trying to say all testing labs are bad, just that people can and do bend the rules

This is what I use and there is definitely the possibility of user error in mixing and measuring solvents. In my own testing of completely different distillates testing at more than 90% THC they all had noticeable differences in the high.

2 Likes

Yeah, Iā€™m not saying that no labs bend the rules. Iā€™m just giving my experience with testing and moisture. We have also sent the same sample to two different labs, and the results were very similar. Again, just my experience as grower trying to keep the dispensary doors open.

Hereā€™s another with terpenes. (I actually got a day off today lol).

7 Likes

Oh hell yeah. Yeah my only point really is there is definitely space for user error(however malicious it may be). Having worked in a lab myself I do understand itā€™s humans in there doing their best to follow practices. Distillation is an interesting art too. We havenā€™t really studied the fractions that come off on the way to THC distillateā€¦thereā€™s some wild cool stuff that comes out. Lot to dig into

4 Likes